Recruiter: The Whitfield Estate Partnership
Head of Buildings Department
Head of Buildings Department
£35,000 - £45,000 subject to experience and skills
The Whitfield Estate is located in the West Allen valley south west of Haydon Bridge and includes about 85 residential properties including farmhouses and cottages as well as properties in Bearsbridge and Ninebanks. The properties include several listed buildings and a scheduled ancient monument. The estate also includes a number of farm steadings as well as a public house and lodge park and is served by extensive private water, sewage and district heating systems.
The Head of Building Department will report to the Estate Owner and his Agent and will work in tandem with the other Heads of Department on the Estate and the Estate Office staff. The post comes with a good salary, pension, vehicle for business use or allowance, and housing or housing allowance as required.
The post is based at The Estate Office, Whitfield, Hexham, NE47 8HD.
The Head of Building Department will manage and lead the Estate Maintenance Team, be responsible to the Estate Owner and his Agent for overseeing the delivery of the repair, maintenance, conservation and preservation of the Estate’s portfolio of properties, including historic and architecturally important buildings. The role also includes the preparation and costing of specifications for building works, procurement of competitive tenders by third party contractors, the provision of responsible, efficient and cost effective property management, maintenance and project management services, along with the supervision of works. The Building Services Manager will also be responsible for all health and safety related matters and CDM compliance within their department. The post carries a high level of responsibility and the post holder will be part of a wider team requiring good team-working skills, but also be able to work unilaterally taking responsibility for their own actions.
The role is full time and you will be expected to provide out of hours emergency cover along with other team members.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Provide leadership to a team of 3-4 estate employees and a team of outside contractors.
- Taking responsibility for all properties and other Estate infrastructure, including private water supply, sewage treatment and biomass district heating systems, to ensure that they are maintained in good repair and a legally compliant condition.
- Maintain a rolling repair and maintenance programme, and produce an annual budget alongside the Estate Owner and his Agent.
- Lead and maintain standards of health and safety, and CDM compliance within the department.
- Prepare specifications and contracts for repair, improvement and new development projects across the wide spectrum of let and in hand properties of the portfolio, procure competitive tenders for works, and project manage the same.
- Manage the external decoration of the Estate’s properties.
- Co-ordinate contractors and sub-contractors for maintenance requirements.
- Prepare and maintain standard specifications for building maintenance and redecoration.
- Pro-actively arrange cyclical maintenance for items such as gutters, downpipes and other regularly required items across the Estate.
- Liaise with and cooperate with other departments to ensure smooth running of estate activities and infrastructure.
Person Specification and Key Skills
It is anticipated that the successful applicant will have the following attributes:
- Hold a relevant qualification in the building and construction sector such as MRICS, MCIAT or the equivalent in a Facilities Management or Project Management background.
- IT proficient.
- Excellent accuracy and attention to detail.
- Experience in financial management in relation to Estate budgeting and project costing.
- Ability to identify, specify and prioritise repair and/or maintenance issues on buildings of various ages, type, size and complexity.
- A strong working knowledge of Health and Safety legislation and policy within the industry and how this applies to the estate, its employees and contractors, and portfolios of property and land.
- In-depth knowledge of building construction and services for buildings of various ages and type.
- Ability to demonstrate team delivery of work and ‘hands on’ knowledge when required.
- Showing professionalism and loyalty to the estate at all times.
- An excellent communicator, with project delivery experience and understanding, and strong personnel management skills (essential).
- Experience of listed buildings, conservation and restoration (important).
Applications should be made by submitting a covering letter and C.V to Justin Coan at Savills ([email protected])
Construction ManagementMore jobs in this specialism
Estate ManagementMore jobs in this sector
PermanentMore jobs of this type
£40,000 - £49,999More jobs in this salary range
North EastMore jobs in this location
25 May 2022