Recruiter: National Trust
Senior Building Surveyor - Projects
Saltram – The future
We have an exciting opportunity for a RICS Senior Building Surveyor or RICS chartered professional with project construction and/ or a conservation background to join the team to help deliver this major and complex project
The Saltram Project is one of the largest projects in the Trust and South West. The project will bring new life and purpose to both the house, garden and wider estate. It includes the conservation and/or repurposing of existing buildings, the design and build of new facilities and infrastructure. The project also involves working closely with Plymouth community partners and external funders.
This is a rare opportunity to work on a project involving the conservation and reimagining of a significant historic estate as a key member of a dynamic and friendly team.
What it's like to work here
You will be part of an in-house project management team that is responsible for delivering the project utilising a world-class team of external consultants, contractors and National Trust specialists.
Your focus will be construction project management – implementing building and conservation work to the historic house, and acting as client side building surveyor for the design and build of all new facilities. In addition, your role is likely to extend to other major project workstreams such as our agenda for land and outdoors. Saltram is open to the public and enabling public engagement with both the conservation and design and build is a key element of the project and one your role will support. Depending on capacity you will also be required to work on other nearby Trust properties.
For the context and further specifics of this particular role see the Role Profile Context.
What you'll be doing
Reporting to the Senior Project Manager you will be responsible for managing aspects of the project throughout its lifecycle including surveys and investigations, feasibility studies, design,consents, tendering, appointments, construction and occupation. High quality of delivery is fundamental and you will have a key role in ensuring that this is achieved to budget and timetable.
The National Trust has an established project management system in place and is a past winner of the prestigious Association of Project Management Project Management Company of the Year Award.
It is assumed that this role will be based at the National Trust Saltram office for the foreseeable future. It will involve regular attendance and travel to external offices and other National Trust properties, as necessary, so please be aware that flexible working in this role will be dependent on project requirements.
Who we're looking for
In your application please provide details of how you meet the criteria for this role:
This is a big challenge and in order to be successful in this role you’ll need to have the right attitude, skills and experience. We’d like you to:
- Be an experienced qualified RICS Building Surveyor/Construction Project Manager, familiar with managing external practices of architects, engineers, quantity surveyors and other professional disciplines.
- Have a good understanding of heritage significance and conservation principles.
- Have a good understanding of traditional building, repair and conservation techniques.
- Have in depth expertise relating to regulatory requirements, best practice and procedures relating to construction and conservation.
- Possess detailed contract management expertise.
- Can demonstrate an aptitude for financial management and reporting.
- Be experienced in managing complex projects with multiple elements, applying logic and structure to situations.
- Have the drive to develop and deliver project outcomes to agreed deadlines and to motivate others to do the same.
- Be able to communicate in a clear way to a wide range of different people both verbally and in writing.
This role will require regular travel, often to sites where public transport is limited or unavailable. Please ensure you’re able to fulfil these travel requirements. (mileage allowance will be paid for work travel)
The National Trust has the motto ‘For everyone, for ever’ at its heart. We’re working hard to create an inclusive culture, where everyone feels they belong. It’s important that our people reflect and represent the diversity of the communities and audiences we serve. We welcome and value difference, so when we say we’re for everyone, we want everyone to be welcome in our teams too.
Wherever you’re from, and whatever your background, we want to hear from you – and it doesn’t matter if you’re jam first, cream first, or even if you don’t like scones at all. Everyone is welcome.
Benefits for working at the National Trust include:
- Flexible working whenever possible
- Free parking at most locations
- Free entry to our properties for you, a guest and your children (under 18)
- Substantial pension scheme of up to 10% basic salary
Construction ManagementMore jobs in this specialism
Building SurveyingMore jobs in this sector
PermanentMore jobs of this type
£50,000 - £74,999More jobs in this salary range
South WestMore jobs in this location
19 Sep 2021