Recruiter: South Western Railway
Station Facilities and Asset Manager
Basingstoke with travel across our network as required
South Western Railway has some of the busiest routes in the country, operating around 1700 services each weekday, from London Waterloo running through south-west London to an area stretching from Portsmouth to Exeter, and delivering 230 million passenger-journeys each year. We are making major investments right across our network, with plans in place to be running almost 1800 services each day.
The Station Property Department consists of a specialist team of rail property professionals each responsible for delivery of various aspects of improvements and maintenance to a large number of stations.
As Station Facilities and Asset Manager, you will be responsible for the delivery of all asset maintenance and repairs to the South Western Railway and Island Line station buildings and their surroundings in accordance with the Station Access Conditions. To ensure works are delivered to an appropriate technical standard, in a safe manner, ensuring value for money, and to satisfy all regulatory, statutory, contractual and business requirements.
In this role you will be:
- Communicating effectively at all levels of business within SWR and Network Rail.
- Responsible for the all Asset Maintenance at Stations.
- Responsible for the implementation of ISO 55001 in Asset Management and the continued accreditation within SWR.
- Responsible for representing SWR as the Subject Matter Expert in Asset Management and Maintenance within First Group and the wider Rail Industry.
- Responsible for 4 direct reports and 25 indirect reports.
- Developing strong relationships throughout the Business with stakeholders and particularly with the Station Management Team. Represent the Station Property Department as required.
- Developing efficient and effective measures to enhance the capability in managing servicing, repairs and maintenance activities.
- Managing the Maintenance Works Manager and all servicing, maintenance, repairs and renewals contracts delivered by external contractors.
- Managing the Asset Standards and Policy Manager in maintaining ISO 55001 in Asset Management including all continual improvement throughout the business.
- Managing the SWR Maintenance Help Desk personnel x2, to ensure all reactive faults and orders are recorded and issued to the relevant Maintenance Contractor.
- Accountability for maintaining SWR accreditation in ISO 55001 Asset Management and all associated policies and procedures.
- Working with the asset management teams in other First Group TOCs to ensure best practice is shared and continually developed.
- Developing as required new procedures and ways of working to support Asset Management improvement plans and a continuous improvement approach in all work activities.
- Ensuring all contracts, technical specifications, policies and procedures introduced by the department are compliant with and support continuing accreditation of ISO 55001.
- Leading the SWR maintenance team in the changes required to more robustly deliver sustainability works, meet regulatory and safety obligations, and develop strong relationships with the Network Rail Route Asset Management department.
- Developing practices and procedures as appropriate to reduce the reliance on and cost of reactive maintenance.
- Responsibility for the delivery of the reactive and planned maintenance work carried out by Station Property front-line teams including Handymen, Graffiti team and Property Services teams, to ensure that repairs and maintenance work are carried out to standards and within set timescales, ensuring best value for money.
- Developing and produce KPIs for all aspects of maintenance, servicing and repairs activities.
- Leading the safety management of the direct labour and any contractors employed. Work closely with the HQ Health & Safety department to ensure compliance with all obligations. Request and assess method statements and risk assessments and carry out due consultation with the safety team prior to approval by the Safety Manager.
- Accountability for work programs carried out by contractors and staff and ensuring that they are delivered as planned and that SWR maintains its legal compliance in all areas of responsibility.
- Representing the Head of Station Property in meetings and ensure that any necessary information is fed back in an appropriate manner.
- Managing the interface with Network Rail's fault system, ensuring the correct split of responsibilities between organisations.
- Developing and maintain the key relationships with contractors in support of the reactive and planned maintenance contracts and develop effective and efficient long-term solutions for the contracting strategy.
- Responsibility for the delivery of maintenance activities to be carried out by other contractors and staff where this falls outside of established contract agreements, ensuring that this is completed to appropriate standards and within timescales, ensuring value for money.
- Providing professional advice on technical issues including provision of budget estimates to other staff within SWR.
- Ensuring that budget provisions within areas of responsibility are not exceeded. Regularly monitor expenditure against budget and take necessary action to keep expenditure in line with budget.
- Chairing meetings in conjunction with the performance of the role, including monthly liaison meetings with contractors and others within SWR.
- Ensuring that all records, reports and correspondence as required in the undertaking of the role are completed and maintained in line with regulatory, legislative and company procedures.
- Managing staff following the set South Western Railway procedures, ensuring that documentation is completed, and records kept or passed on as appropriate.
Experience and Qualifications
- You must have good written and verbal communication skills.
- You must have good IT skills and be comfortable using email, spreadsheet and word-processing software and have extensive experience of reactive maintenance job tracking databases.
- You should have a practical approach to construction with a clear sense of practicability and costs.
- You must have a proven ability to develop and maintain strong relationships at all levels within a large organisation.
- You should have a high standard of general education and ideally with professional qualifications in a building maintenance or construction discipline to minimum HNC level.
- You should have a thorough knowledge of construction Health & Safety legislation, ideally with relevant experience of Health & Safety in the railway environment.
- You should have a sound knowledge of construction and its legislative framework and ideally experience of construction in the railway technical environment.
- You must have extensive hands on experience of managing a large front-line operational staff team in a property maintenance environment and preferably within a large organisation.
If you’re looking for a company that will value you and provide a progressive, flexible workplace with a working environment that rewards staff for the enormous contribution they make, then look no further than South West Railway.
We offer colleagues the chance to develop, and provide them with the training and development resources to achieve their career goals.
For more information and to apply, please go to: https://uk.firstgroupcareers.com/vacancy/south-western-railway-station-facilities-and-asset-manager-010811-basingstoke-campus-roc/10841/description/
Specialist Contractor, ArchitectureMore jobs in this specialism
Estate ManagementMore jobs in this sector
PermanentMore jobs of this type
South EastMore jobs in this location
30 Oct 2019