Recruiter: Milton Keynes Council
Building Control Surveyor, Milton Keynes
Closing Date: 17/05/2019
Milton Keynes is a rapidly expanding, vibrant and dynamic place to live, work and play. How better to contribute to that continued success than through a unique and rewarding career with Milton Keynes Council.
So if you’re looking for an excellent benefits package and the chance to make a difference, make a move to Milton Keynes Council.
We currently have vacancies for surveyors within our Building Control team. If you would like to contribute to providing a robust professional service we want to hear from you.
As a new and rapidly developing town the work in Milton Keynes is wide and varied, including villages mentioned in the Doomsday book, through to some of the country’s most modern and innovative developments.
Work is across all types, from domestic extensions and new housing, through to commercial and large public buildings such as the recently listed shopping centre, the MK Dons football stadium and cinemas, bars and restaurants.
The roles will include plan checking, site inspections and investigations of unauthorised works and dangerous structures, and will also include some mentoring and supervisory duties.
The post requires experience in the construction industry, an in-depth knowledge of the Building Act, the Building Regulations, and the Building Control function, with extensive experience of working in a Building Control team.
- Formal checking of Building Regulations applications and carrying out inspections on site, for an extensive range of projects, at key stages of building work to ensure the requirements of the regulations are being followed.
- Investigating reports of unauthorised building work and providing evidence for potential enforcement.
- Providing support to the Helpline by providing advice and guidance in relation to technical enquiries.
- Promoting the local authority building control service and supporting the LABC Partnering Scheme.
- Investigating reports of dangerous structures to determine action required to ensure that structures are safe.
- Liaising, by face to face, verbal and written communications, with construction professionals, builders, members of the public, Councillors, other Council departments and other local authority building control teams in relation to the duties above.
Experience, Qualifications and any Mandatory Requirements
- Extensive experience of working in a Building Control team.
- Detailed understanding of the Building Regulations and Building Act 1984.
- Professional qualification or equivalent demonstrable knowledge in relevant specialist areas OR full membership of relevant professional body.
- Excellent communications skills and ability to deal with a wide range of people and situations.
- Ability to work without supervision and to manage and prioritise own workload.
- Ability to lead, direct and advise less senior members of the team.
- Ability to work safely in typical construction site conditions which may be potentially hazardous.
- Skills in using Microsoft Office software and a Building Control database.
- Full driving licence and own car.
Departmental Benefits of this role
- Varied and challenging workload with involvement in small domestic projects to multi million pound commercial developments.
- Working within the Regulatory Services team providing access to a wealth of knowledge of other Regulatory requirements.
- An environment that will encourage innovative and forward thinking ideas.
- Role suitable for the Council’s Agile Working programme with remote access to required IT systems and use of company smart phone and laptop/tablet.
Milton Keynes Council Benefits
Use your skills to benefit the local community and experience a rewarding, interesting environment and attractive employment package such as:
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates.
- A generous minimum holiday entitlement of 27 days per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years.
- Option to buy more annual leave.
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements.
- Excellent in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership and Management.
- Flexibility – with full time, part time and term time working options.
- Fair pay and a commitment to a minimum Living Wage.
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings including retail, travel and leisure discounts as well as a suite of salary sacrifice benefits.
Closing date for receipt of applications: 17th of May 2019
Interview Date: 4-6th of June 2019
For an informal chat about how we fit into your future please call Derek Hatt, our Building Control Manager on 01908 252202.
To apply, please visit the Milton Keynes Council Careers website http://bit.do/milton-keynes-building-control-surveyor and fill in the application form.
At Milton Keynes Council we take great pride in our Community and we hope that you can help us grow and share our vision.
House BuildingMore jobs in this specialism
Building SurveyingMore jobs in this sector
PermanentMore jobs of this type
£40,000 - £49,999More jobs in this salary range
South EastMore jobs in this location
17 May 2019